When not in the office will be found living the good life on the family farm with wife and daughter in southwestern Otoe County.
- B.A., Tarkio College, Tarkio, MO, Sociology and Philosophy, English Literature minor (1986)
- M.A., Central Missouri State University, Warrensburg, MO, Sociology (1991)
- Community Planning and Community Services
- Basic and Emergency Needs Issues (food, housing, clothing, utilities)
- Program Evaluation
- Rural Sociology
- Crime and Juvenile Delinquency
- Community and Social Organization
- The Community Context of Rural and Urban Child Neglect: Co-Principal Investigator. This is a four year research project, funded by the National Institutes of Health, examining the community effects on the incidence, identification and response to child neglect across rural and urban communities. The focus is on rural and urban communities and between communities varying in levels of social organization. Included in the study of responses to child neglect is an examination of CPS case decision-making and the influence of community contextual factors on these decision processes. The study is being conducted in partnership with Pennsylvania State University.
- Community Services Initiative (CSI): CSI is the Lincoln and Lancaster County Social and Human Services planning body. CSI is funded through the Lincoln and Lancaster County Joint Budget Committee. CCFL serves on the CSI Leadership Group and is primarily responsible for the creation of the Lincoln and Lancaster County State of Caring Index and the Community Services Management Information System.
- Community Services Management Information System (CS-MIS): The Community Services Management Information System is a web-based, case management and client tracking information system managed through CCFL . Presently 18 community service agencies and over 45 programs enter data through the CS-MIS system. Data in the CS-MIS is used by agencies for case management and client tracking activities and aggregate data is used from the system to provide community planner and funding entities with unduplicated data on people being served and the number and type of services being utilized.
- Nebraska Management Information System (NMIS): The Nebraska Management Information System consists of four partners - CS-MIS being one of the founding partners - throughout the state of Nebraska that implement the web-based, case management and client tracking information system. NMIS reports to the State of Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services on unduplicated counts of persons and services provided agencies funded by NEHHSS through Nebraska Homeless Assistance Program (NHAP).
- Residential Energy Assistance Challenge Option Program Evaluation: Program evaluation of community service project funded by the U.S. Office of Community Services through the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services to reduce the utility burden on low-income households by education in energy efficient practices.
- Better Service Through Enhanced Partnership Program Evaluation: Program evaluation of Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services pilot project funded through Section 1115 Demonstration Grant Area 3 to improve child support and child welfare outcomes through increased and better collaboration.
- Job Opportunities for Low Income Individuals Program Evaluation: Program evaluation of community service project funded by the U.S. Office of Community Services to increase low income households dependence on government assistance through the establishment of micro-enterprise translator / translation businesses among new or recent immigrants and refuges.
- AmeriCorp Service Program Evaluation: Program evaluation of a community service agencies use of AmeriCorp Service volunteers on the outcomes of clients served.
- Goodvin, R., Johnson, D.R., Hardy, S.A., Graef, M.I., & Chambers, J.M. (2007). Development and confirmatory factor analysis of the Community Norms of Child Neglect Scale. Child Maltreatment, 12(1), 68-85.
- Chambers, J.M. & Goodvin, R (2006). Lincoln and Lancaster County State of Caring Index.
- Osgood, D.W. & Chambers, J.M. (2003). Community Correlates of Rural Youth Violence. OJJDP Juvenile Justice Bulletin. http://www.ncjrs.gov/html/ojjdp/193591/contents.html
- Osgood, D.W. & Chambers, J.M. (Spring 2000,).
Rural youth violence: A negative binomial analysis of non-metropolitan
Murphy-Berman, V., Schnoes, C., & Chambers, J.M. An evaluation of
three comprehensive community initiatives: A case study in Nebraska.
Evaluation and Program Planning.
Schnoes, C., Murphy-Berman, V., & Chambers, J.M. (Vol. 21, No. 1 pp
53-64). Empowerment evaluation applied: Experiences, analyses and recommendations
from a case study. The American Journal of Evaluation.
Chambers, J.M. & Mathers, B. (January 2000). Residential Energy
Assistance Challenge Option Evaluation. Report presented at the Office
of Community Services REACH Conference, Washington, D.C.
Chambers, J.M. (1999). Residential Energy Assistance Challenge Option
Evaluation (Evaluation Report). University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Center
on Children, Families and the Law.
Chambers, J.M., Graef, M.I., & Murphy-Berman, V. (1998). Variation
in maltreatment reporting and substantiation rates: Final report, section
II (Technical Report). University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Center on Children,
Families and the Law.
Chambers, J.M. Independent living skills training evaluation (Evaluation
Report). University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Center on Children, Families and